1. Today was the first day of school, and I’m SO glad I am not longer a teacher. No regrets about resigning!
2. My goal is to run 95 miles this week. I’ve done 40 so far. Eek—I am not even half done! It is already taking a toll on me, but I’m hoping this will only help prepare me for the marathon! I can’t decide which is harder: running really high mileage (when your body really isn’t used to it) or training for a marathon through a brutal winter.
3. My husband had strep throat last week, and now I’m starting to feel my throat get a little scratchy. I REALLY hope I’m not coming down with it too. I started taking echinacea, so I hope it helps!
4. I have not been sleeping well. This is not good for the high mileage or warding off sickness. Must get lots of sleep tonight!
5. Only 37 days until we go to Minnesota to see family and friends, see Josh Turner in concert, and run a marathon! So much to look forward to!
Since this is a running AND food blog, I thought I’d better do a post on some food too.
While I don’t foresee myself ever becoming a vegetarian or vegan, their diets do intrigue me. I especially found this article in Runner’s World (June 2012) on ultra-marathoner Scott Jurek very interesting. He swears that his vegan diet has made him a better and faster runner!
He included a recipe for Choclate Adzuki Bars, and I’ve been wanting to try this recipe since seeing it in the magazine.
Initially I didn’t know where to find adzuki beans, but I finally ended up finding them at the bulk section of Carrs (Safeway) grocery store.
Here’s how my bars turned out. I baked them for the maximum amount of time (45 minutes), but they were still doughy on the inside. Next time I should pick a larger pan so they aren’t as thick.
Overall, they were pretty good. I would make them again and add some chocolate chips on top next time.
Here are some other foods I’ve been enjoying lately.
This Cinnamon Chex cereal is so good and so addicting!! They taste just like Cinnamon Toast Crunch! They have 8 grams of sugar, which I didn’t think was too bad.
I seriously could eat cereal all day long.
And this is the healthy, organic version of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. It definitely is very close in taste but has a slightly odd after taste. However, not enough for me to stop eating them.
I go through my “granola”/protein bar phases and right now I’m enjoying all sorts of Luna bars. I like that they have a decent amount of protein (10g) and not overly calorie-dense (180 calories).
My favorite flavors right now are: Chocolate Dipped Coconut, Peanut Butter and Pretzel, and Blueberry Bliss.
These are a mostly-nut bar with some added seeds and dried fruit that I bought at Costco. I like them (more like “likED” them), but I’ve kind of overdosed on them.
It might only be 8 p.m. here, but I’m ready for bed!
What is your favorite kind of cereal?
What food have you recently overdosed on?